What is Bendywood® ?
Bendywood® is a solid hardwood that can be worked like normal wood and then bent in a cold and dry condition, enabling you to reduce working costs, improve quality and increase productivity.
This unique wood can be bent because of a method that was patented in 1917. The blanks of hardwood (beech, ash, oak, maple, cherry and walnut) have been subjected to a particular thermo-mechanical process. At first the blanks are steamed to soften the cell walls. Then, still damp, the blanks are compressed along their length for about 20%. Finally, they are dried in this compressed form.
The maximum size of our Bendywood® blanks amounts to 120x120x2200mm (4-3/4” x 4-3/4” x 86-1/2”).
Bendywood® can be bent up to a guaranteed maximum radius of 10 times its thickness. A 10mm (1”) thick section can be bent to a radius of 100mm (10”). Longer sections, from 2200mm (86-1/2”) up to a maximum of 6600mm (21.65′), can be bent up to a guaranteed radius of 20 times their thickness, as they are supplied jointed. A 10mm (1”) thick section can be bent to a radius of 200mm (20”).
Thin sections of Bendywood® can easily be bent by hand. For thicker sections, starting from 10mm, we advise to use pulleys, clamps, belts, ropes or a ring rolling bending machine.
The Bendywood® benefits ?
Bendywood® has many benefits:
• You bend it in a COLD and DRY condition.
• You profile it first, then you bend it.
• You work it like normal wood and it looks like normal wood.
• You do not need special tools or equipment.
• You stain and glue it like normal wood.
• You can rebend it when needed (i.e.: if you make mistakes in calculating bending radius and inclination).
• Endless shelf life.
• Superior quality of hardwood.
• Ideal solution for difficult problems in the domain of interior design.
• Superior product from an esthetical point of view, as the grain of the Bendywood® always follows the curve.
• Unrivalled in many application areas: it lets you save time and money compared to traditional wood bending techniques / working with laminations.
• Easy and quick to bend: e.g. a 42mm thick and 6,6m long handrail can be bent within 10 minutes.
Bendywood® is mainly used in the furniture industry and in the domain of interior decoration :
• Handrails of stair
• Curved edges of tables
Bendywood® is also used by designers for making lamps, jewelry, glasses cases.
ATTENTION: Bendywood® is not suited for outdoor use.
How to work ?
Please read these instructions before using Bendywood®.